"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Narrator

This is a transcript of Geneva's running monologue this afternoon as we played in the yard. We had been painting the sidewalk with a bowl of water and several brushes. The "sword" Geneva refers to is a bamboo pole that had recently been removed from the front planting bed.

I'm walking down the street a-painting my head and-- that's a really big sword to... sword with. What's that? That's a sword to sword through there. What do you need? Flour and sugar and baking soda. Flour, baking soda and eggs. Ow! I bonked myself on this. I'll put that in the mailbox. I'm the mailman. I usually put mail in the mailbox. I put it in there and closed the door. What happened? The man and the bad lady... (ran out of earshot)... soar through the air with all his might. I get something out of the mailbox. It's waiting for me. And I put something in the mailbox and I said no. I closed the mailbox. It's hiding. What are you writing? I'm going to storytime. Water, I tooked it. Oh my goodness! Oh man! Dunked my head in the bowl. The stick will go "sword" in the water. Something's on the ground. It's a sword, through the air! Va-va-va-va-va! I want to hit Maya on the head. I need to put the bowl away. In the mailbox. I want a popsicle. How about a pop-- how about a popsicle?

Geneva came to stand next to me on the porch steps and I read her back what she had just said. She laughed.

Let's read it again!

Points of clarification:
Geneva really was painting her head with a wet paintbrush, which she later bonked herself with and then put in the mailbox.
I don't know what recipe she was reciting, but I think it was for cake.
"The man and the bad lady" is a Tangled reference.
She did not hit Maya on the head.
We did have popsicles.
She is always like this.
I was writing as fast as I could.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like the fruit didn't fall too far from the tree! Papa

    ReplyDelete