"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

Monday, September 26, 2011

It's Science!

For the last month we have been a three-kid house, at least between the hours of 7:00 and 4:00. Maya Rose has joined our crew of two, and despite being hopelessly outnumbered I am having a wonderful time in a house that suddenly seems to be swarming with children. One of the great things about having both Geneva and Maya all day every day is that it has pushed me to be more intentional with the activities I plan for the girls. Maybe "pushed" is overstating things; the teacher in me only needed a tiny nudge, and before I knew it I was outlining objectives and making lists of essential reading materials and generally being the world's nerdiest mom. In all honesty I'm not sure it's any more beneficial for Maya and Geneva to have "field trips" than it is for them to just run around and play, but writing curricula and planning lesson plans has kept me sane, so it's certainly not a loss.

So what do preschoolers learn about in the Zoglman house? Right now we're studying water, and although we're only about halfway through the unit I am going to go out on a limb and call it a success. Sometimes activities suddenly veer off in a direction I never anticipated, sometimes they come to a screeching halt, and sometimes we get ridiculously wet, but we always-- always-- have fun. Each day has me looking forward to the next, and I'm already giddy with anticipation at the thought of other subjects we could study and explore. Food! Plants and gardening! Music and sound! Weather! Bugs! Outer space! The possibilities are endless.


Well gosh, when I started this post I felt like I had tons of pictures of the girls doing watery, sciencey stuff! As it turns out, I have... some. The rest of these are just glimpses of life with the girl squad.



















No comments:

Post a Comment