"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hold Your Horses

Lately Geneva has been trying out colloquial speech-- you know, phrases that are always worded a certain way and that have some kind of special, non-literal meaning. To hold a candle to something, for instance, means something different than actually handling a candle. The nuance seems lost on Geneva, but darn it, I love that she's trying!


"Can I hold a candle?" She proceeded to get out the candles.

"Dinosaur, behold! Behold still!" Spoken to an (apparently) wiggly dinosaur.

And, my favorite...

"Mommy, I want to hold my horses." She then ran into her room and came back with her hobby horse.





The other little Zoglman girl keeps her own counsel these days, with the exception of a few choice screaming fits. Mostly she takes sweaty naps in my arms or in the wrap, coos and stares when awake, and nurses like it's going out of style (memo to Lavender: it's not). She is plump, pink, and despite my predictions her blue eyes and shock of white hair have so far stuck around. She is in many ways still a little stranger, but I couldn't love her more.




As for the grown-up Zoglmans, Avery is currently putting the finishing touches on a TV cabinet for our living room, and so far it looks great. I continue to be amazed by his ability to craft BIG things like furniture and buildings! I think I would be intimidated by the necessity of making something structurally sound, but Ave fearlessly saws and hammers away. My hero! I don't have much to add for myself here... Everybody is fed, clothed and reasonably clean, so that goes in the win column. I think I've moved away from creating and am now simply maintaining, at least for the time being. Crafty projects and major yard transformations will be waiting for me when my baby has grown, and I'm hyper-aware this time around that infancy passes in a blur. So although the logistics of my life have gotten much more complicated, my attitude has... slowed. I've learned that being still and immersing myself in this moment of my life, of my children's lives, can never be counted as wasted time. The laundry has really started to pile up. Big fat oh well; I'm busy holding my horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment