"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

Monday, July 11, 2011

One Week

A week after Lavender was born, I spent my first morning home alone with just the girls. It was only for an hour or so, but it felt significant. I wondered if I would be completely overwhelmed, if the kids would be miserable, or some other horrible foreshadowing of my life as a stay-at-home mother of two. I suppose I was being melodramatic; it's hard to keep things in perspective with as little sleep as I'm getting.

We were just fine. Most of the mess was contained in the nursery, where we quickly created what looked like a very happy disaster area. Geneva picked out her own clothing-- a pink diaper and a bike helmet-- and was very proud of herself. Lavender spent her time dozing, nursing, and watching Geneva with an intensity I didn't think newborns could muster. At one point I had G, L and the cat on my lap at the same time (yes, milk got everywhere). I'm still exhausted, still sleep-deprived... but based on that one hour alone with my girls, I think I'll be okay.







Later that evening I took some time to snap a few (hundred) pictures of my littlest girl. She gained almost a full pound during her first week of life, and I don't want to miss this-- tiny, tiny Lavender, before she grows up and takes on the world.






Coming soon: labor and delivery story!

1 comment:

  1. OH my goodness. She is too scrumptious. I need to see her again SOON. I'll call you and figure out when I can bring you guys a meal and get a snuggle.

    P.S. I LOVE your updates. The fact that you are managing to post them is a really good sign!

    ReplyDelete