"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What's the opposite of debunking?

...Bunking, of course! And that's what we did to Geneva's room: we bunked it.




When I was two I helped my daddy put together a bed. I stabbed him in the eye with a screwdriver. Geneva refrained from inflicting injury, and was in fact a very good helper. I, on the other hand, was basically useless during the assembly of this bed. I took pictures of Geneva scattering key pieces of hardware around the room, and I don't think Avery was much amused. I'm glad he's forgiving-- and quite the handyman!


Once the mattresses had been delivered, Monkey Child spent about ninety seconds in the bottom bunk before deciding that the top was, as they say, where it's at. At nights we still require her to sleep on the bottom, but I did take a nap up on top with her once and I can see the appeal. I always wished I had a sister with whom to share a room, and bunk beds figured heavily into that fantasy. I kind of imagined it would be like a non-stop sleepover, or maybe summer camp. Geneva and Lavender will have to report back to me about the reality of room-sharing, but my guess is that like all social endeavors, sharing a small space with another person will come with its ups and downs. My advice to the girls will be this: 1) focus on the ups rather than dwelling on the downs, and 2) sorry Lavender, but Geneva technically has "dibs" on the top.





And so we've successfully transitioned our girl from crib to toddler bed to bunk. I want to say a BIG thank you to Robert and Melba, who provided the bunk frames, and to Geneva for Avery's two functioning eyeballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment