"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

Saturday, June 13, 2009

4 days old - time to see the world (or at least the front yard)

Geneva has started exploring the world, but we're taking baby steps. Which is appropriate, seeing as she is in fact a baby. To get started, she got to hang out in her bouncy seat while Mom and Dad (with lots of help from Nana) got caught up on some yard work that piled up due to the whole '9 months pregnant' thing we had going lately. Jamaica loved being able to work in the yard again, I loved being able to tinker with the lawn mower and bounc
e my girl at the same time, and Ginny basked in the shade and had a ball. And by 'ball' I mostly mean 'nap', but she loved it all the same.



************************************************************************************

I'd also like to share a couple of random thoughts (and photos!) from the past few days of new fatherhood:

1) If your wife happens to have a surprisingly short labor, especially the actual delivery, be very careful not to tell anyone that she 'ripped right through it'. That's not a euphemism in this case, and she really won't find your inadvertant pun funny in any way.

2) Watching other families like my cousins, I always wondered how parents with young children just seemed to know things; now I know that it's because they had a great incentive. Sleep.

3) I never thought I'd actually enjoy changing diapers.

4) While we were at the hospital, Geneva had to be sucking on something (or screaming, but sucking was better). Since Mommy didn't much like to be a human pacifier 24/7, I let her suck on my finger. That was my primary fatherly function for the first 48 hours of her life. Then when we left they gave us a pacifier and suddenly my entire skillbase as a parent had been rendered obsolete by a few pennies worth of plastic. I think that's why I like changing diapers - it became the new thing I could do.

Now, I'll stop writing and post pictures which is both easier and more interesting!

Just like her Mommy! (Jamaica was also 6lb, 15 oz)

Geneva taking her first nap in the crib


Happy Grandpa!

Nana loves Ginny!





No comments:

Post a Comment