"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

"Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" --Ms. Frizzle

Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Last Haircut

I absolutely love getting haircuts, and tonight's was a humdinger. I could feel the stylist's scissors pressed right up against the nape of my neck, followed by the soft velcro sensation of hair being clipped away. Yes! Finally, someone who wasn't afraid to give me a REAL haircut, as opposed to the lovely one-inch trims I've often received from more timid stylists. This cut is short, rendering ponytails out of the question, and I just love it.

Why am I writing about my haircut? I don't really know... I suppose it's simply because it put me in a wonderful mood. It is also just one more thing that I'll never do again in my pre-parenthood life. From now on, I will receive all of my haircuts as a mother. Not that this is somehow earth-shattering to contemplate, but it's just interesting. I wonder how many other things I've done for the last time before becoming someone's mom... buy shampoo, go for a jog, shop for a bathing suit, attend a wedding could all make the list. It makes me more appreciative of the time I have left before she's born-- a measely five weeks-- and has also piqued an intense curiosity about all of the things I'll do for the "first" time once she gets here.

It's hard for me to believe sometimes, but I really will miss being pregnant. I won't miss the heartburn, the exhaustion, or the waddle, but it has been so special getting to carry my little girl with me everywhere I go, feeling her wiggles and flips as I go about my day. Right now she is balled up on my left-hand side. I think it's because I was laughing at Avery threatening to spike the cat like a volleyball. Yes, we are a ridiculously content little family.

I'm not sure I have the hang of this blogging thing, but I imagine I'll improve as I have more interesting things to blog about. We'll call this Take One.

1 comment:

  1. Aww cute post!! Can't believe it's only 5 weeks away... well actually could be as soon as 2 weeks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete